Befriend is a Perth-based social enterprise sparking connected, thriving communities. We’re currently looking for an experienced communications wizard to design and implement a short-term campaign to support our expanding service offering!
ABOUT THE TEAM
We are a small but mighty team, working in a fairly flat organisational structure, trusting and supporting each other to work autonomously and make informed decisions. We are avid learners, experimenters, collaborators and do-ers. We aspire to develop Befriend as a radically-inclusive, participatory organisation that values the contributions of all, and acts with intention to create spaces for autonomy, connection, growth and fun!
Since our launch twelve years ago, Befriend has grown to become a powerful change agent in the space of relationships and inclusion. Our grassroots community development initiatives have sparked 12,000+ West Australians to take action to nurture community connection, and our work in partnership with citizens, community organisations, researchers and government is changing the conversation around loneliness, isolation and social exclusion. We’re continuing to develop our capability to contribute towards systemic change.
Through our grassroots work in local Perth communities, our community building team have been having energising conversations with local people, learning more about their aspirations for growing inclusive, connected communities.
The insights from these conversations have helped us broaden our perspective on our role in supporting people to make the contributions that matter to them to the communities they’re connected to, or yearn to be connected to. Through a number of consultations and community co-design experiences, we’re now testing new engagement strategies for community members at all stages of their connection journey – from capacity building workshops, to the creation of supportive planning resources, to the coordination of peer-to-peer learning experiences. From these rich testing grounds, we hope to have developed a new “adventure map” for community members to engage with us on their journey to connection and contribution.
From a communications perspective, this presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced Campaign Lead to join the team to support the implementation of this expanded service offering and generate a vibrant community awareness campaign on what’s possible with Befriend. Our Communications Lead will be on three months of maternity leave, April – July, so we’re looking to connect with a Campaign Lead who is ready to hit the ground running, and support Befriend in this exciting transitionary period.
THE KEY RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS ROLE:
Supporting the team with the development of key resources – Collaborating with our Community Building and Operations Teams to design and develop key resources that can be used across contexts, that support community members to plan around their connection journey
Campaign Designing, Implementing and Evaluating – Designing and embedding a cohesive strategic campaign across our platforms, and in community, that supports our audiences’ and stakeholders’ understanding of “The Befriend of Today” and our refreshed engagement offering
WE EXPECT THIS WILL INVOLVE:
- Website administration (WordPress) – Collaborating with the team and our website designer, to redesign the flow of our website in a way that engages and invites new contributors at different stages of their journey
- Content planning, creating, scheduling and evaluating – Writing and designing content that can be distributed across platforms and in community – e.g. social media, newsletters, and hard copy marketing collateral
- Digital community engagement support – Researching and supporting the implementation of a digital “connecting space” for community members to engage with, and learn from, each other, as well as general social media engagement
- Documenting your recommendations – Supporting Befriend to further develop this campaign into the future with suggestions and recommendations for ongoing tactics; from story-telling, to SEO and content strategy
THE COMMUNITY IS LOOKING FOR:
- An experienced communications wizard with a passion for campaign design
- Someone who is both creative and analytical by nature
- A curious, deep listener who loves to translate complex pictures for different audiences in different formats
- An skilled wordsmith who has worked with Canva, WordPress and social media previously
- Someone hopeful and inherently optimistic, always seeing possibility and potential in all
- An open-minded and open-hearted person
- Someone able to self-manage and work autonomously
- Someone with short-term project delivery experience
- This is a part-time fixed-term contract (0.8 FTE) until 31st August 2023 (with possibility of continued collaboration into the future)
- Salary $84,460 pro rata plus superannuation
- A team of 16 change-makers, thinkers, do-ers and builders to support your thinking and creativity in this project. Read more about our team and work culture here.
SOUND LIKE YOU?
- We invite you to submit your resume, a cover letter, and some samples of your work to the Community Building Team by Sunday 26th March 2023
- Please submit your application to
- In your cover letter, we expect to learn more about you; what it is about this project that speaks to who you are as a person and the kinds of contributions you want to make to the world around you, and what gifts, strengths, capabilities and experience you hope to bring to this work.
- The application window will close on Sunday 26th March 2023 at 11:59pm
- We will be assessing applications as we receive them, and inviting conversations with applicants during this period – so we encourage you to put in your application as soon as you’re able to
- We’re hoping the right applicant will be able to start ASAP to create as much time as possible for collaboration with our Communications Lead before she goes on maternity leave (~mid April)