Befriend Professional Development workshops are designed for staff working in the Community Services sector who value inclusion, natural relationships and community connection and are looking for practical ways to better integrate that into their everyday work. The workshops are very interactive, dynamic and based firmly in the values of person-centred practice. Through these workshops, Befriend staff share evidence-based practice approaches, combined with lessons learned from six years of experience working on unique, innovative initiatives to foster the development of natural relationships and community connections.
These workshops are presented by Befriend Inc, a Perth-based non-profit with a vision of an inclusive, connected world. Over six years Befriend has become a leading local innovator in the space of inclusion through creative initiatives that foster human connection, and are local experts in facilitating the development of natural relationships. In doing this Befriend has formed close partnerships with many community service organisations who value the inclusion and connectedness of their service users.
Signature Staff Training & Development Package: Befriend Community Connections Certification (2-Day Course)
- Community Inclusion Fundamentals (Day 1) - How can you support people to overcome isolation, develop true friendships and live an active, independent social life? Discover an evidence-based framework for enabling the development of natural relationships and community connections, and learn how to apply it to your everyday practice through practical exercises and case studies. Ideal for Team Facilitators, Support Workers and others working in direct support roles. This workshop can be delivered as a stand-alone training option, or as Day 1 of the Certification.
- Befriend Community Connections Certification (Day 2) - Extend your learnings from Day 1 by mastering the Befriend Community Connections Process and Toolkit. The Toolkit is a practical resource jam-packed with exercises and evidence-based strategies to use in your daily practice to develop an individual's social skills, independence and capacities for natural relationships. Learn how to apply the Toolkit through a structured process to facilitate an individual's connection beyond isolation and segregated social groups, into community-based social groups and networks, including the Befriend Social Network, Perth's largest inclusive social network. Participants who successfully complete both days will achieve recognition as a Befriend-Certified Community Connector.
Technology in the Community Workshops
- Technology 101 for Support Workers (Full day) Join this interactive workshop to learn about digital technology and discover how it can improve lives of individuals. Ideal for staff in direct support roles.
- Technology for Life Skills, Connection & Independence (Full day) Learn about how the internet, computers and smart devices help individuals gain or reclaim life skills, social connections and independence, from scheduling to banking, email to social media, online dating, maintaining family networks overseas, personal safety to meal planning, and more. Ideal for staff in direct support roles who have existing technology skills or completed ‘Technology 101 for Support Workers’.
- Technology in Person-Centred Planning (Half day) Join this workshop to discover ways of embedding technology into person-centred plans. Ideal for staff in planning and coordination roles.