Friday, April 8, 2016
Want to tell us about your experience at Befriend, or have ideas about how we can be better? We've just launched the annual Befriend Be-Better survey, so now's your chance! Your answers will help us to understand the impact of our work, and improve how we connect people in Perth.
As thanks for completing the survey, you can go into the draw to win fantastic prizes such as a FREE ticket to the 2016 Befriend Ball, Sweet Skills vouchers and more!
The survey should only take 5-10 minutes to complete. All answers and information provided will be kept confidential. Click here to complete the survey.
Friday, April 8, 2016
Sharpen those pencils and straighten up your socks! Join the Befriend Team for a Back To School themed fundraiser Quiz that will put you to the test on all your fave school subjects. $30/ticket or $200 for a table of 8. The tuck shop will also open its roller-shutter for all your canteen needs (plus a cash bar for alcoholic beverages...we're adults now). Tickets available here.
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Help your child or teenager to grow confident using social media by building your own knowledge of the internet. Join Claire Stokes of The eFriends Project and learn how to nurture a culture of online safety in your home, privacy and security settings of social networking sites, potential risk of using social media, and where to go for help. If you have a mobile device such as a smartphone or tablet, bring it along to use in the workshop.
This public workshop is being held on Sunday 15 May, 10.00 am to 12.00 pm at The Meeting Place, 245 South Terrace, South Fremantle.
Further information and enrolments here: http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/tmp
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
As part of the National Year of Digital Inclusion, The eFriends Project will be hosting an event in the Go Digi Pop-Up Festival on Saturday 21 May. Details are to be confirmed, but check back here and on Facebook for details in the coming weeks.
Friday, February 19, 2016
Befriend is excited to partner with All We Need is Right Here and the Hills Social Group to celebrate 2016 Neighbour Day with a family-friendly picnic in Kalamunda on Sunday the 3rd of April. Neighbour Day is a chance to celebrate the important role good neighbours play in growing healthy, connected communities. Invite along your friends, family, neighbours, or come along and meet some new people from your local area! This event is proudly supported by Relationships Australia (WA), the Home of Neighbour Day.
Please note the date has been updated since our February newsletter!
Date: Sunday, 3rd April, 2016
Location: Stirk Park, Kalamunda
What: Bring a picnic rug and enjoy an afternoon in the sun. There'll be local entertainers performing on stage all afternoon, food vans, icecream and hot drinks, garden games, a petting zoo and more!
Friday, February 19, 2016
Leisa fell in love with Befriend when she was working on the eFriends Project two years ago, and since then, has kept up to date with all things Befriend-related.
When the opportunity came up to share her passion and business of using art to connect with the Befriend community, Leisa jumped at it, running a Fused Glass Jewellery course in the 2015 Sweet Skills pilot. “It was so great to see how the group got to know each other over the four weeks of the course – they became more comfortable with each other, and the conversation naturally started to flow. My favourite moment was seeing the pride in the group when they got to see their completed jewellery, and the way they shared what they had made with each other.”
Leisa is excited to be running the Meet and Make Craft course, which starts in April. Leisa will be showing you how to make mosaicked pots, homemade candles, rag rugs and dream catchers. Sign up here!
Friday, February 5, 2016
It's only February, but Befriend has already featured a story on WA Today and made it onto the cover of Blooming Minds eMag. Check out the articles below to learn a little more about the Befriend story and our founder Nick Maisey!
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Building on the successes of the pilot course run late last year, we’ve created a program of exciting and quirky courses to be released at the beginning of February. This time Sweet Skills will run as six themed courses which match up to the most popular interest areas of Befriend members. Here’s an exclusive sneak-peak at the courses on offer:
- Global Cuisine Adventures
- Meet and Make Crafts
- Dance Discovery
- French for Travelers
- Wonderful Wellness
Friday, January 15, 2016
If you feel your iPad or smartphone are getting the better of you, join this hands-on workshop and learn how to outsmart your smart devices. Learn how to use your smartphone or iPad to enrich your life - rather than increase your frustration - in a safe and secure way. Bring your own device, questions and enthusiasm to have a go.
This public workshop is being held on Friday 5 February, 10.00 am to 12.00 pm at The Meeting Place, 245 South Terrace, South Fremantle.
For more detail, click here.
Monday, December 21, 2015
In addition to the Befriend events on Boxing Day and the 28th of December, we’ve put together a handy list of community events on Christmas Day through to New Year’s Day, just in case you’re looking for more events to get out and about.
- Mission Australia Christmas Lunch in the Park – a free event that is open to everybody! If you’re on your own this Christmas Day, head along to the lunch, held in Welllington Square Park in East Perth.
- Perth City Christmas Decorations - take a wander through the city to see the biggest Christmas Tree in Perth, along with the lights and decorations on display throughout city streets and parks.
- Northbridge Piazza Festive Flicks – head along to the Northbridge Piazza on Boxing Day to see the Christmas classic, Home Alone. The film starts at 5.30pm.
- Northbridge Piazza New Years Eve – The City of Perth will be counting down to New Years Eve with a free community event in Northbridge. Two stages will be jam packed with music and entertainment, roving acrobats, dancers and performers will fill the streets before the midnight countdown.
- Kings Park New Years Eve – For a picturesque location to welcome in 2016, head to Kings Park for a smoke-free, alcohol-free venue.
- Shelley Foreshore New Years Day Fireworks – Every year, the City of Canning hosts a New Years Day celebration at Shelley Foreshore from 3-8pm, with food, music and fireworks.
- Perth Twilight Hawkers Markets - For a delicious meal on the first day of 2016, head into the city for the Perth Twilight Hawkers Markets, which run from 4.30-9.30pm every Friday evening, recommencing on New Years Day.